Friday, February 12, 2010

Preemptive Nostalgia

It just hit me that I only have 2.5 months left in Paris. 2.5 months! (I'm a bit torn about whether to write this with a comma, but I guess I'll stick to my roots).

I was just in Cologne for a couple days, although not for the same reason as most people. I was taking exams, while most people were wearing ridiculous costumes and getting falling-down drunk before 10am. I had actually completely forgot Karneval would be starting, so this was a bit of a shock. It was an interesting experience, though, kind of like a no-age-limits, wasted Halloween. What I thought was kind of cool was that groups of friends would all wear the same costume, presumably to find each other better in a crowd.

Being in Germany was nice, but for once, I also really missed France. It's hard to explain why; was it just too clean, too orderly? Hardly, at least not on Thursday when Karneval started. Did I miss the cafés on every corner? The fromageries? Or was the large amount of sketchy people in Köln (at least around the Hauptbahnhof) just off-putting? I really can't put my finger on it.

It did, however, make me wonder where I will be happiest. I think a piece of my heart will always be in both places (and I guess in the U.S., too. And Italy).

And I definitely think I won't be ready to leave at the end of April.

No comments:

Post a Comment