Friday, September 3, 2010

Une semaine en France, pt. I: Mitfahr-Madness

This will be a long update (probably part 1 of 3), because a lot of exciting things happened. A couple of my friends of the Erasmus in Berlin crew got married this weekend, and, even though I decided about a week before the event that I could come, graciously allowed me to attend. Essentially, as soon as I found out I had a place in Hamburg for September, I scrambled to arrange transportation and lodging for the countryside wedding and my sidetrip to Paris SIMULTANEOUSLY, primarily because I couldn’t really afford to come to France twice, and I had left all of my fall and winter things in Paris, and it was starting to get cold already im hohen Norden. I lucked out though, since I found a Mitfahrgelegenheit from Hamburg to Saarbrücken for Friday—one of only two that week—and was also, amazingly, the first to contact the driver.

I may not have been so thrilled, however, if I had known exactly how long it would take to get there. I’ve done 10-hour drives before (Fargo—Chicago FTW!), but Google Maps said it would take about 6 hours, and that’s what I had mentally prepared myself for. Apparently, this may be true if you drive during the middle of the night, or even some other low-traffic time, but NOT if you travel on the weekend in Germany. Then there will be one solid traffic jam to wherever it is you want to go.

My driver actually realized this and wanted to leave at 8am. His boss, however, was also a big Google Maps believer, and decided that, since Google Maps said it would take 6 hours max to get to Saarbrücken, he could come to a meeting that morning. So our 8am departure time turned into 10am, and then, as his one meeting turned into two, finally 11:30am. This of course meant that I spent more than an hour anxiously waiting outside the hotel, while the workers wondered how in the world a taxi could be so slow. Nee, ich warte nicht auf einen Taxi, ich warte auf eine Mitfahrgelegenheit…

So we hit the road. The driver was actually pretty cool, a businessman of some sort, and was constantly phoning someone or another. He was really irked about having to leave later than expected, though, and after about 7 hours on the road, he sort of started to crack. He called his wife.

Driver: I’ve got half a mind to call him up, and say, “Greetings from Gießen”! Because there are two possibilities: either he doubts my competence, and thinks that I misplanned, or he doubts my loyalty, and thinks I was trying to get extra time off.

Wife: (calmly, almost matter-of-fact) You should! He needs to know. It’s not fair.

D: Yeah. Yeah, I think I will. Or just call him when I arrive, even if it’s midnight, just to say I got in alright.

Drama! He decides to call now rather than later, and picks out his boss’s name from the tricked-out car phone dash system.

Boss: Hallo, D!

D: Guten Tag, B! I just wanted to say, Schöne Grüße aus Gießen!

B: Ah, well, schöne Grüße aus Hafencity!

D: Yeah, we’re actually sitting in a traffic jam…weekend traffic, you know…

B: Ah, me too, unfortunately!

D: Yes, 6 hours have turned into 7 and there are still 250km to go! Needless to say, I may not be able to review all those videos tonight…

B: Oh, haha, well, that’s life…

D: Well, I just wanted to say hi! Have a nice weekend, then!

He hangs up.

Rachel: Hat er es überhaupt nicht kapiert?? (did he not get it at all??)

D: Entweder hat er es nicht kapiert, oder es interessiert ihn nicht. (Either he didn’t get it, or he’s not interested). Anyway, when I get back on Tuesday, I’m going to tell him I’m taking the rest of the week off because of the 45 hours of overtime I had to do this weekend, then when I come back the week after I’m going to put my resignation on his desk.

Yikes. He was serious, too, and started phoning some of his other business contacts to see if he could secure another job. Apparently this was not the first time this had happened…

But despite all this excitement and Aufregung, I did make it to Saarbrücken, and after another short drive (only half an hour, no traffic jams this time) I was in the tiny town of Laning, where part two of our story will take place!

No comments:

Post a Comment